Friday, June 27, 2008

Anniversary

Thirty six years ago today I was married to Roger Kelly in Ashland, Virginia at 5:30 pm on the campus of Randolph Macon College by the Reverend Ed Wright. At that time in my life my husband-to-be and I were Jesus freaks. The groom sported a long beard, pony tail, a blue chambray workshirt, jeans, and sandals while I, too ,was in jeans (levi bellbottoms), chukka boots, and white muslin shirt which had just weeks earlier been sewn by a college roommate. It had an embroidered band across the front and back yolk and was quite formal looking. At the time I asked Jenny to make it for me, I do not think that I had a purpose in mind.

The wedding day did not include our parents. It was attended by the groom's sister Diane and her then husband, Paul. A friend of Diane's played her guitar and sang "In My Life". In the place where we stood to take our vows All You Need Is Love was etched in the pavement We spent our wedding night in a tent in his sister's back yard eating mint Oreos worrying about breaking our news to our parents. Our wedding dinner was at a nearby little diner of sorts.

Many happy years and memories followed including the birth of three daughters who continue to this day to bring much laughter and joy to my life. The End.

By the way, I'm not married anymore.

No comments: